donderdag 26 juni 2008

Interview with Haimar in AS

Haimar talked to the spanish newspaper AS and here's the translation of the article.

-With 9 days before te start, how do you feel ?
Good, I rode a new preparation and I think it was a good choice. I rode the Tour of Romandy, the Dauphiné Libéré and the Volta a Catalunya and I have reached a good form. I'm going to do some more training sessions befor going to France.

-Have you studied the route of the Tour 2008 ?
After the Dauphiné I explored together with Sanchez, Astarloza and Isasi some of the new climbs in the Alps. In addition, we've also been two days in the Pyrenees and explored the stage over the Tourmalet to Hautacam and the one over the Peyresourde to Aspin.

-You are known for your good time trial, but after the Dauphiné it seems like the climbs become more your thing.
I'm not happy with the crono in that race. Nevertheless I was good in the mountains. I believe that the Tour is won by doing well on the climbs and being regular in the time trials.

-Are you at the top of your carreer now ?
I'm older now. I'm in my eleventh year of professional cycling now. It will be my 8th Tour, the same as my team Euskaltel.

-Will you be the leader of the team ?
I will share the leadership with Mikel and Samuel, who wants to be in form for the Olympic Games in Beijing. Mikel has a lot of experience in the Tour too and the Tour comes at a good moment. We have a balanced team and this way the pressure isn't on one person.

-Who do you think are the favourite for the victory ?
Cadel Evans has the biggest opportunity to win the Tour. We've also seen a very good Valverde in the Dauphiné, he will certainly fight for the general rank. Hopefully we can manage to get on the podium.

-What do you think about Contador not being able to defend his title ?
From the beginning I thought it was an incorrect decision. I believe that in the Tour de France should be the best riders. Alberto's new team has to pay for what happened last year.

-This year your contract with Euskaltel finishes. What crosses your mind at the moment ?
At the moment only the Tour de France is on my mind. I'll have to ride a good Tour because my future might depend on it.

Geen opmerkingen: