woensdag 20 augustus 2008

Haimar leaves Euskaltel for Astana

I needed some time to let this news sink so that's why I post this so late. Haimar Zubeldia will leave Euskaltel for Astana, team of Contador, Leipheimer, Klöden and other great riders. He has a contract for two years. Apparently he needed something new in his carreer. I'm absolutely not happy with this news because I think Euskaltel isn't (yet) strong enough for one of the main riders to leave. Also I don't want to see Haimar fade away in the big Kazak team. I will keep on supporting him but I won't start posting news about Astana, altough Haimar was my favourite rider ever and through him I discovered Euskaltel.

The past days I've been thinking about reasons why Haimar left. Of course these are all suggestions and they are probably not right.
  1. Haimar doesn't like it that Samuel is the new leader in the team and in the Tour de France
  2. Haimar isn't happy with Euskalltel anymore since they fired his brother last year
  3. Astana offers him a lot more money and with a young child and family to support, he can use the extra euros

If you have other suggestions or want to comment on mine, feel free. I hope he will come back to Euskaltel in 2011.

Geen opmerkingen: